We are looking for a mission-driven, experienced inclusive leader to join our team as Director of Finance & Accounting. As a senior member of our team reporting to the CEO, the Director of Finance & Accounting will play a key role in the design, implementation and iteration on new internal controls and policies across the organization. This role will work in conjunction with the Fund Development team, Budget Managers and Senior Leadership team on revenue forecasts, revenue recognition, budgeting and other financial matters.
This is a full time, salaried role. Direct Reports include 1 Finance Coordinator.
Canada Learning Code is Canada's leading national charity championing digital literacy education. Placing a special emphasis on women, transgender and beyond binary adults and youth, people with accessibility requirements, racialized people and new comers to Canada. Canada Learning Code is proud to work from coast to coast to make sure that all Canadians have access to the knowledge they need to prosper in our digital world. Originally founded as Ladies Learning Code in 2011, the organization has evolved to run programming for adults, youth and educators through programs Ladies, Girls, Kids, Teens and Teachers Learning Code.
Though 2020 has certainly gone differently than we expected it to, at Canada Learning Code we remain focused on our mission. Today, we are delivering live-online learning experiences across the country for adults, youth and educators. To date, Canada Learning Code has reached over 600,000 learners through an in-person experience.
What Success Looks Like
- We deliver an inspiring educational experience to our learners
- We have an engaged, empowered delivery team who is aligned to our mission, vision and values
- We reach our annuals goals by securing and stewarding high value partnerships across Canada Learning Code’s delivery channels including Chapters, Code Squad and Affiliate Partners
- We develop unique regional and national partnerships and build our community of educators and learners nationwide
Strategy & Planning
- Participate in key decisions as a member of the executive management team
- Assist in formulating the company's future direction and supporting tactical initiatives
- Create financial forecasts, monitor and direct the implementation of strategic financial plans
- Develop financial strategies that assist in cash flow forecasting/management and optimizing funding requirements that have a direct impact on strategic business plans
- Develop and manage reporting tools for management and Board meetings
- Research and evaluate strategic opportunities for the organization including investment strategies such as an endowment
- Articulate and synthesize information to key points for management presentations, and for strategic/operational decision making
- Coach accounting team via providing guidance on day-to-day accounting issues, insights into complex business transactions, and training to direct reports
- Communicate with multiple hierarchies and different divisions in the organization, develop and execute high-quality work plans, and drive results ethically
- Proactively work with the audit firm to identify accounting, tax or other financial issues to come up with solutions to remediate issues before they arise.
- Maintain books in Quickbooks accounting system to improve efficiency and effectiveness
- Review month-end close entries and checklist to ensure all items are properly booked in the accounting system for a firm close
- Develop and track financial KPIs based on key drivers of the organization for decision support
- Establish and enforce proper accounting policies, procedures and controls, aligned with the organization’s targets
- Ensure Finance & Accounting policies are up to date, reflect best practices and implemented consistently across the organization
- Lead organizations budgeting process including project-based budgeting
- Oversee month/quarter/year-end entries, monitor cash-flow on a daily basis, review fixed assets purchases and depreciation, manage general ledgers, and prepare financial reports
- Oversee and ensure the completion of charity-related government filings by external Audit Firm
- Coordinate the annual financial audit and be responsible for the financial reporting compliance
- Complete necessary monthly, quarterly, yearly and ad hoc financial reporting for Audit Committee, Board and funders
- You have a CPA designation
- You have a University Degree in Accounting, Business or similar discipline
- You have 3-5 years of management experience
- You have excellent analytical software suite skills like MS Excel or Google Sheets
- You have experience in using Quickbooks Online, Strype, Paypal and TD bank treasury management system
- You have experience in the charitable or not-for-profit industry in Canada is preferred
- You have the ability to work in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment where innovative thinking, solutions-oriented personality and perspective is highly valued
- You are fluent in English, French is an asset.
- Must be able to provide a Criminal Reference Check with Vulnerable sector screening.
We are currently fully remote due to Covid-19, though our HQ is Toronto, we are open to applicants across Canada. Our team will have the option to return our Toronto office space when it is safe to do so - an entire floor at Queen and University (right around the corner from a subway station)!
This role may require some evening and weekend work. Some travel may be required if/when safe to do so.
This role reports to our CEO, Melissa Sariffodeen.
Why Join Our Team?
We’re doing something big and we have huge goals. Canada Learning Code is a place where you will be surrounded and supported by some amazing people who are light on ego, high on curiosity, and flat out want to make a difference. We are always looking for talented individuals who bring strong skill sets that complement and add to our existing teams along with innovative thinking, team attitude and an ability to show results.
All positions at our organization include the following perks & benefits:
- Being a part of a growing team that is changing the computer science education industry in a big way
- 15 days of vacation annually plus shut down during December (usually one week) for some rest and recharge time
- Up to 10 Personal Leave days per calendar year that can be used as floater holidays for religious and traditional practices that don't match the standard holiday schedule or whatever else you might need
- Group benefits including medical, dental and EAP
- Pregnancy & Parental Leave Top Up Program
- Professional development and the opportunity to participate in part-time courses and workshops for free
Step 1: Video Call with a member of our P&C Team
Step 2: Meeting with Hiring Manager
Step 3: Candidate Challenge with cross functional team members
Step 4: Life Story Meeting with members of the Senior Leadership Team
***Important note: If you are viewing this job posting on Indeed or another aggregated site, please apply directly here instead
Our Commitment to Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging
Canada Learning Code is committed to building a transparent environment where everyone feels heard, welcomed and included. We believe Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging are fundamental in our vision to harness the power of technology to create a better and more inclusive future. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, Black people, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
Our Commitment to Accessibility
Canada Learning Code is committed to developing an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment process and work environment. Should you require any accommodation, please inform us and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs. For any accessibility-related assistance, requests for information in accessible alternative formats or to report any accessibility problems, please contact us at people(@)candalearningcode(dot)ca