We are looking for a mission-driven, experienced inclusive leader to join our team as Director of Brand Strategy. As a senior member of our team reporting to the COO, the Director of Brand Strategy will play a key role in building and evolving the brand strategy and identity for Canada Learning Code’s Adult Programs including Teachers Learning Code and Ladies Learning Code. This role will work in conjunction with the Senior Leadership Team to develop and implement strategies and tactics to deliver meaningful learning experiences.
This is a full time, salaried role. Direct Reports include 1 Marketing Manager and 2 Program Managers.
Canada Learning Code is Canada's leading national charity championing digital literacy education. Placing a special emphasis on women, transgender and beyond binary adults and youth, people with accessibility requirements, racialized people and new comers to Canada. Canada Learning Code is proud to work from coast to coast to make sure that all Canadians have access to the knowledge they need to prosper in our digital world. Originally founded as Ladies Learning Code in 2011, the organization has evolved to run programming for adults, youth and educators through programs Ladies, Girls, Kids, Teens and Teachers Learning Code.
Though 2020 has certainly gone differently than we expected it to, at Canada Learning Code we remain focused on our mission. Today, we are delivering live-online learning experiences across the country for adults, youth and educators. To date, Canada Learning Code has reached over 600,000 learners through an in-person experience.
What Success Looks Like
- We have programming that inspires and energizes our community and holds our position as a leader in digital education and considers the diverse and unique needs of Canada
- Our delivery channels are supported with the tools, knowledge, strategic programming and associated marketing to successfully deliver high quality learning experiences that are in line with our program standards.
- We have an engaged, empowered Brand Strategy team who is aligned to our mission, vision and values
- We develop our programs within a robust learning objectives framework with a consideration for evaluation, andragogy and pedagogy
Strategy & Planning
- Define the approach and methodology for our programs across Educator and Adult programs including product positioning, price, place and people.
- Participate in key decisions as a member of the senior leadership team
- Assist in formulating the company's future direction and supporting tactical initiatives
- Develop and manage reporting tools for management and Board meetings
- Research and evaluate strategic opportunities for the organization
- Articulate and synthesize information to key points for management presentations, and for strategic/operational decision making
- Coach Brand Strategy team via providing guidance on day-to-day issues, insights into complex business transactions, providing coaching and support for people managers on the team.
- Provide ongoing and clear direction, performance management and career development support to the Brand Strategy team.
- Manage all Brand Strategy team member needs (hire through retire) and ensure that each of your team members has reasonable support, resources, tools and guidance to be happy and successful within their roles
- Lead team communication strategy by facilitating regular team meetings, one-on-one meetings, update emails, etc.
Marketing & Brand Strategy
- Lead the development of long term strategies for the CLC brand as a whole as well as implementation of a comprehensive and integrated marketing plan, including research and analysis of insights, audience specific strategies and integrated channel planning and execution.
- Develop a deep understanding of our learners and their learning ecosystems, industry trends and best practices to provide a basis for content and creative development and delivery and to support CLC key priorities.
- Run research and strategy projects like competitive analysis, brand positioning, share of voice analysis, etc.
- Leverage data and insights to guide the identification of new business opportunities
- Work closely with Marketing Manager and Program Managers to develop a consistent external marketing message for teams.
- Manage internal and external communications strategies across integrated channels
- Oversee the development and implementation of marketing strategies to promote programs, events or initiatives that support strategic objectives.
Program Management & Evaluation
- Evaluate the effectiveness of the programs and projects, including overall business impact, and make recommendations for future offerings/next steps in consultation with Program Managers and other key stakeholders
- Bring focus and direction, ensuring the work we produce is supported by principles, delivering on the needs and expectations of both end users and the business.
- Ensure that critical success factors and overall risks are identified and proactively managed (i.e. appropriate training needs analysis performed, specific learning objectives developed, use of appropriate design and delivery platform, identification of appropriate SME and resources, identification of appropriate target audience, timing, budget)
- You have proven experience in building and implementing brand and marketing strategies
- You have demonstrated experience building a collaborative environment between cross functional departments
- You have proven people management skills, including managing up
- You have excellent relationship management skills, analytic, communication and presentation skills
- You consider yourself tech-savvy, comfortable with learning new technology and digital tools. You have experience with video conferencing tools, like Zoom
- You are a change agent who is open and flexible to new ideas and strategies and comfortable with leading change
- You have the ability to work in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment where innovative thinking, solutions-oriented personality and perspective is highly valued
- You are fluent in English, French is an asset.
- Must be able to provide a Criminal Reference Check with Vulnerable sector screening
We are currently fully remote due to Covid-19. Though our HQ is Toronto we are open to applicants across Canada. Our return to office plan is a hybrid model. That means you can continue to work remotely anywhere in Canada. For team members located in GTA you will have the option to return our Toronto office space when it is safe to do so - an entire floor at Queen and University (right around the corner from a subway station)!
This role may require some evening and weekend work. Some travel may be required if/when safe to do so.
This role reports to our COO, Nancy Madonik.
Why Join Our Team?
We’re doing something big and we have huge goals. Canada Learning Code is a place where you will be surrounded and supported by some amazing people who are light on ego, high on curiosity, and flat out want to make a difference. We are always looking for talented individuals who bring strong skill sets that complement and add to our existing teams along with innovative thinking, team attitude and an ability to show results.
All positions at our organization include the following perks & benefits:
- Being a part of a growing team that is changing the computer science education industry in a big way
- 15 days of vacation annually plus shut down during December (usually one week) for some rest and recharge time
- Up to 10 Personal Leave days per calendar year that can be used as floater holidays for religious and traditional practices that don't match the standard holiday schedule or whatever else you might need
- Group benefits including medical, dental and EAP
- Pregnancy & Parental Leave Top Up Program
- Professional development and the opportunity to participate in part-time courses and workshops for free
Step 1: Video Call with a member of our P&C Team
Step 2: Meeting with Hiring Manager
Step 3: Candidate Challenge with cross functional team members
Step 4: Life Story Meeting with members of the Senior Leadership Team
***Important note: If you are viewing this job posting on Indeed or another aggregated site, please apply directly here instead
Our Commitment to Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging
Canada Learning Code is committed to building a transparent environment where everyone feels heard, welcomed and included. We believe Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging are fundamental in our vision to harness the power of technology to create a better and more inclusive future. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, Black people, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
Our Commitment to Accessibility
Canada Learning Code is committed to developing an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment process and work environment. Should you require any accommodation, please inform us and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs. For any accessibility-related assistance, requests for information in accessible alternative formats or to report any accessibility problems, please contact us at people(@)canadalearningcode(dot)ca